Perry Johnson, a businessman and multimillionaire from Michigan, ceased his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination on Friday. On Monday, he endorsed former President Donald Trump in the GOP primary election.
“After suspending my campaign for President on Friday, there is now only one candidate in this race who can provide a solution to our nation’s economic, foreign policy and social crises, and most importantly, beat Joe Biden at the ballot box,” Johnson wrote in a statement posted on X. “That person is Donald Trump.”
“During President Trump’s first term, our nation saw historic peace agreements, no new wars, an economic revival, and forged a new path forward away from corrupt, establishment career politicians,” he said.
“I supported President Trump in 2016 and 2020, and am proud to offer him my full endorsement once again as he seeks the Republican nomination for President in 2024. I look forward to assisting in efforts to elect him next year and uniting with other conservatives to defeat Joe Biden in November,” Johnson said.
“We must beat @joebiden to save this country and Donald Trump is the only candidate who can do it,” he wrote.
Having suspended my campaign, I am officially endorsing @realDonaldTrump for President of the United States. We must beat @joebiden to save this country and Donald Trump is the only candidate who can do it. My full statement is below. #maga pic.twitter.com/eV7kRDAmeo
— Perry Johnson (@PJQualityGuru) October 23, 2023
Johnson, who was previously described as “a self-made businessman, problem solver, and quality expert from Michigan” on his campaign website, failed to amass sufficient support to be eligible for the Republican presidential debates.
His name is conspicuously absent from the primary polling results of FiveThirtyEight and RealClearPolitics, alongside candidates such as former Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson and North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum, both of whom received well below 1 percent.
However, Trump duly recognized Johnson’s support on his Truth Social platform, which prompted the former candidate to express gratitude on X.
— Perry Johnson (@PJQualityGuru) October 24, 2023
In a statement posted to X announcing he was suspending his campaign, Johnson said running for president had given him “a renewed sense of hope that America’s best days are ahead.”
“I ran for President with the single focus of ensuring that the country my children inherit is just as extraordinary as the America in which I grew up,” he said.
“I was worried that wouldn’t happen. The government’s out-of-control spending, which has caused rampant inflation and forced skyrocketing interest rates, is painful for middle America and hurting families,” Johnson said.
Perry Johnson released a statement on Friday: pic.twitter.com/OU5PIzLLVu
— Perry Johnson (@PJQualityGuru) October 20, 2023
The statement characterized the Republican National Committee with contempt.
“I must admit, the corruption among leaders at the RNC during this process was appalling,” Johnson said.
“Not only was the debate process set up to keep outsiders off the stage and without a voice, but when we did meet their arbitrary metrics, corrupt leaders used their authoritarian power to kick me off the stage at 11 p.m. the Monday before the debate, despite our team working with Fox News all weekend on logistics,” he said.
“With no opportunity to share my vision on the debate stage, I have decided at this time suspending my campaign is the right thing to do,” the candidate said.
“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the people should decide the next president of the United States, not the head of the RNC and her cronies.”
Johnson said he will keep some staff on board “in the event the dynamics of the race change.”
He has indicated an interest in running for U.S. senator in Michigan, according to Fox News.
“Obviously, it’s no secret that I’ve had a lot of calls to run for this seat because they do want to win this seat,” Johnson said in September.
He contributed $12 million to his campaign and utilized his aircraft for flights totaling $1.5 million, according to campaign disclosure reports obtained by ABC News.