Friday saw the release of police bodycam film of the battle between Paul Pelosi and the guy suspected of assaulting him in his San Francisco home.
News groups had petitioned the court to disclose the audio and footage. Prosecutors and defense attorneys for David DePape, who is charged with assault, attempted kidnapping, and attempted murder in relation to an event that occurred on October 28th, stated that the video might compromise his prospects of a fair trial.
The district attorney’s office contended that the video may be modified and used to promote false information.
According to CBS News, San Francisco Superior Court Judge Stephen Murphy stated, “You don’t eliminate the public right of access just because of concerns about conspiracy theories.”
Murphy also stated that since the footage was shown during a preliminary hearing last month, there was no reason to conceal it.
WARNING: The following video contains graphic violence and vulgar language that some viewers may find disturbing or offensive.
Just released police body camera video shows moments David DePape attacked Paul Pelosi at his# San Francisco home
— Bigad Shaban (@BigadShaban) January 27, 2023
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-California) expressed uncertainty as to whether she would view the clip.
“It would be a very hard thing to see an assault on my husband’s life,” the former House speaker said. “But I don’t know.”
Last year, San Francisco Police Chief William Scott told CNN that when officers arrived at the Pelosi residence, they knocked and “someone within opened the door.” It was eventually found that this was Pelosi.
Scott said that authorities observed Pelosi and another guy vying for custody of a hammer.
More on this story via The Western Journal:
As police told the two to stop their fight, Pelosi lost the battle for the hammer and was hit on the head at least once, the police chief said.
Police then tackled the man with the hammer, Scott said. CONTINUE READING…