Sunday, three U.S. Marines were discovered deceased at a service station in North Carolina.
Officers from the Pender County Sheriff’s Office discovered the males in a vehicle located directly in front of the station.
Fox News reports that all three had perished of carbon monoxide toxicity.
Tanner J. Kaltenberge, 19, Merax C. Dockery, 23, and Ivan R. Garcia, also 23, were their names.
All of them were Marine Corps Lance Corporals.
Wednesday, Sheriff Alan Cutler issued a statement regarding the incident.
“I am saddened by the timeless and tragic death of these three young men, who served our country honorably,” Cutler said, according to Fox.
“Our thoughts and prayers remain with their families and colleagues during this time.”
According to a report by The New York Times, Sgt. Chester Ward of the Pender County Sheriff’s Office stated that the three individuals “did not appear to have died by suicide.”
The Marines were vehicle operators stationed at Camp Lejeune, which is approximately one hour distant from where the bodies were discovered.
According to the Times, Camp Lejeune commanding general Brig. Gen. Michael E. McWilliams expressed his condolences to the family via a statement.
“Our focus is providing the necessary resources and support to those impacted by their tragic loss, as they navigate this extremely difficult time,” McWilliams said.
On social media, numerous individuals reacted to the news by sharing their perspectives on the odd fatalities.
Accidental carbon monoxide poisoning while pulling over to rest. Older car.
— LittleFrippet (@mockinbirdsong) July 26, 2023
“People have driven older cars as long as they have existed. Why would you stop to sleep that close to base?” one Twitter user wrote regarding the story.
As a local, it’s another 50 minutes or so from where they were to get there
— meow meow meow cat freak (@unarmedtacocat) July 26, 2023
“As a local, it’s another 50 minutes or so from where they were to get there,” another user claimed.
This news serves as a stark reminder for everyone to ensure the proper maintenance of vehicles and to be vigilant about carbon monoxide sources in closed spaces
— AyleeBloom (@AyleeBloom) July 27, 2023
“This news serves as a stark reminder for everyone to ensure the proper maintenance of vehicles and to be vigilant about carbon monoxide sources in closed spaces,” another user wrote.