Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin was absent from work for an extended period of time since last week due to prostate cancer treatment; he did not notify the White House of his absence, according to NBC News on Tuesday.
A few days prior to Christmas, Austin “underwent a minimally invasive procedure” to “treat and cure” the malignancy, according to the source.
A few days prior, he received a cancer diagnosis and was administered general anesthesia in preparation for a prostatectomy on December 22. This operation involves the removal of the prostate organ in its entirety or in part.
Austin was hospitalized on January 1 due to complications, according to statements made by officials at Walter Reed National Military Center to NBC News.
“Secretary Austin recovered uneventfully from his surgery and returned home the next morning,” officials reported on Tuesday.
“His prostate cancer was detected early, and his prognosis is excellent,” they said.
Austin, according to the officials, developed complications such as “nausea with severe abdominal, hip, and leg pain.”
Upon receiving a diagnosis of urinary tract infection on January 2, the 70-year-old patient was transferred to the intensive care unit at Walter Reed for “close monitoring and a higher level of care.”
Austin then experienced “abdominal fluid collections impairing the function of his small intestines,” they said.
“This resulted in the back up of his intestinal contents which was treated by placing a tube through his nose to drain his stomach,” officials from Walter Reed informed NBC News.
“The abdominal fluid collections were drained by non-surgical drain placement. He has progressed steadily throughout his stay,” they said.
The report indicates that Austin remained hospitalized as of Tuesday afternoon.
More on this story via The Western Journal:
He was expected to make a full recovery and was no longer battling any infections, according to NBC News.
On Friday, Pentagon officials had said he underwent an “elective medical procedure,”… CONTINUE READING…