In relation to the disturbances that occurred on January 6, 2021, in the U.S. Capitol, the Department of Justice (DOJ) is contemplating the indictment of over 1,000 more individuals.
The Justice Department informed Chief Judge Beryl Howell of the District Court for the District of Columbia in a letter earlier this month that the court should be prepared to accept 700 to 1,200 new defendants, according to a Wednesday report by Bloomberg, which reviewed the letter. Over 900 individuals were charged by the DOJ at the time.
Since then, there has been a significant increase in the number of arrests made by the Department of Justice, which has already reached about 1,000. According to the government, the number of pending complaints is almost equivalent to the estimated number of persons who entered the US Capitol during the disturbance, between 2,000 and 2,500 people.
Due to the high number of arrests and prosecutions, DOJ resources, federal public defender’s offices, and courts have been strained.
“In the months and years to come, the FBI Washington Field Office will continue to partner with U.S. attorney’s offices across the country to bring to justice those who attempted to use violence to substitute their will over the will of the people,” David Sundberg, assistant director in charge of the FBI Washington Field Office, said in a January statement.
Most federal offenses have a five-year statute of limitations from the date of the offense.
The publication of the letter from October occurs only days after Fox News personality Tucker Carlson acquired 41,000 hours of Congressional tape on January 6. Carlson aired a portion of the footage he got earlier this month, which depicted the gathering inside the United States Capitol. The Fox News personality challenged the House January 6 Committee and the media’s characterization of the events of that day.
“A small percentage of them were hooligans. But the overwhelming majority weren’t. They were peaceful. They were orderly and meek. These were not insurrectionists – they were sightseers,” Carlson said.
In recent days, defense attorneys representing people accused of crimes linked to the events of January 6 have gained access to the majority of the film supplied to Carlson. Due to the vast number of film, it may be difficult for defensive teams to examine it in depth.
“Gov. gives me 14,000 hours of video and says ‘Your client is captured on that video.’ Are you suggesting I need to watch video 24 hours a day for 583 days in order to do my job?” William Shipley, who is representing the “QAnon Shaman” Jacob Chansley in his trial over January 6, said in a recent post on Twitter.
In January, the FBI produced a report stating that it had gathered and evaluated more than 30,000 video clips obtained from law enforcement sources, mobile phones, and other sources. The files include nine terabytes of material, which would need at least 361 days to examine if played constantly 24 hours a day.
As previously reported, Biden’s Department of Justice received devastating news after Tucker Carlson released the January 6 “insurrection” footage.
More on this story via The Republic Brief:
As the House and its then-Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, had been given the task of investigating the events of the day it seems that their “investigation” did not run very deep, and may have been slanted or manipulated. CONTINUE READING…