Jeffrey Clark, a former assistant attorney general in the Trump administration, stated on Friday that the indictment of former President Donald Trump by the Justice Department contains grounds for a “dismissal.”
Thursday night, Trump announced on social media that he had been indicted in the investigation of his management of classified documents by special counsel Jack Smith.
The entire 49-page indictment was unsealed on Friday.
Trump will be accused with a total of 37 felonies. Thirty-one of the allegations will be for “willful retention” of classified documents, allegedly in violation of the Espionage Act.
The former president and foremost Republican presidential candidate for 2024 maintains his innocence and intends to defend himself.
The indictment is the culmination of the August 8 FBI search on Trump’s private Florida club and home, Mar-a-Lago.
It is alleged that on two separate occasions in 2021, he showed classified documents to multiple individuals without security clearances. The Justice Department stated that both alleged incidents occurred at Trump’s New Jersey club.
This month, one of these alleged instances was released to the media.
CNN reported June 2 that federal prosecutors had “obtained an audio recording of a summer 2021 meeting in which former President Donald Trump acknowledges he held onto a classified Pentagon document about a potential attack on Iran, multiple sources told CNN, undercutting his argument that he declassified everything.”
Unknown is the identity of the network’s sources.
More on this story via The Western Journal:
Clark took to Twitter on Friday afternoon and said the leak to the media is grounds for Trump to have the case dismissed.
“I’m beginning to read the indictment against Trump,” he said. “But even three pages in, it’s clear that the leaks that preceded the indictment are far too close to what is actually being pleaded by DOJ to be a coincidence.” CONTINUE READING…