A notable CNN anchor who worked for the network for more than 24 years has announced her departure as the network’s ratings continue to fall.
According to the New York Daily News, CNN’s chief business correspondent and “Early Start” host Christine Romans resigned on Friday.
“During Friday’s on-air sendoff, she announced that she will leave the cable news channel after nearly a quarter of a century, with that day being her last,” the news source reported.
She told the audience, “I’ve decided it’s time for a new chapter,” adding that though she’s “moving on from CNN, [she] will still be watching.”
“It has been a pleasure waking up early for you for so many years to get your morning started,” she continued. “I love CNN dearly. I have loved my 24-year run here … I am full of gratitude for my CNN family. It is a family. Everybody here are my friends. And I am excited for the challenges ahead.”
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Romans recently decided to leave the show and is not expected to join a competing network, but his future is uncertain.
Variety reports that until a definitive decision regarding the show’s talent is made, the 5 a.m. EDT newscast will continue to broadcast with “a rotating array of anchors.”
— CNN Early Start (@EarlyStart) July 28, 2023
“It’s impossible to sum up 24 wonderful and transformative years at CNN, but here it goes: five elections, a dot-com boom and bust, 9/11, a housing bubble and financial crisis, and a global pandemic,” Romans said in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. “Oh… and a wedding, three baby boys, three books, and 10 years of 3 a.m. wake-up calls!”
“I’ve climbed the mountain and it’s time for me to climb a new one,” Romans, who is the author of “Smart Is the New Rich Money Guide for Millennials,” went on. “But I’m forever grateful to have worked alongside some of the most talented journalists in the business.”
Her departure comes at a time when CNN continues to struggle to attract viewers. According to The Street, CNN lost 21% of its 25-to-54-year-old viewers in May, while MSNBC gained viewers over the summer.
According to a report from earlier this month, CNN has employed two Fox News producers, a network that CNN has long criticized.
“Kaitlan Collins’ new primetime show The Source has hired a former producer from Maria Bartiromo’s program while Jake Tapper just tapped an EP from Fox News Sunday for his weekday program. The decision is being called hypocritical by insiders since Tapper often trash-talks the number one cable network on air, Fox News,” noted Radar Online.
More on this story via The Republic Brief:
“As we first reported, Collins’ new shows could use some help after launching to dismal numbers. According to Nielsen Media Research, Collins’ new primetime show The Source debuted at 9 PM and was beaten by Fox News’ Hannity by triple digit percentage. Collins’ show, which had former VP Mike Pence as a guest, was also beaten by repeats of Golden Girls, SpongeBob SquarePants, South Park, King of Queens, Seinfeld, and Friends,” the outlet added. CONTINUE READING…