Former President Donald Trump interrupted his round of golf in Scotland to respond to media inquiries about the ongoing rape trial of author E. Jean Carroll.
“Will you attend the trial, Mr. President?” one reporter asked.
“I’m probably attending and I probably will and I think its a disgrace. It’s a disgrace that it’s allowed to happen against a rich guy or in my case, against a famous, rich and political person that’s leading the polls by 40 points,” he continued.
“And I have to go back for a woman that made a false accusation about me, and I have a judge who is extremely hostile and I’m going to go back and I’m going to confront this. But this woman is a disgrace and it shouldn’t be allowed to happen in our country. You go to work,” he added.
SEE IT HERE:
JUST IN: Trump blasts rape accuser E. Jean Carroll, says he is going to confront her.
“I’m going to confront this woman.”
It’s worth nothing that Carroll doesn’t appear to know what “rape” means.
“I think most people think of rape as being sexy,” she told Anderson Cooper of… pic.twitter.com/wxKuDomWvj
— Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) May 4, 2023
Carroll, an American journalist, columnist, and novelist, claimed that the late President Donald Trump violated her in a department store dressing room in the mid-1990s. In her 2019 book, “What Do We Need Men For?,” Carroll levied the accusation. In “A Modest Proposal,” she describes the alleged encounter.
Trump has refuted the allegations, calling them “totally false” and a “hoax.” He also claimed he had never met Carroll and that she was not his type. Carroll responded by filing a defamation lawsuit against Trump, alleging that his denials had damaged her career and reputation.
Of the accusations she made against Trump, Carroll said from the stand on Wednesday, “I’m here because Donald Trump raped me, and when I wrote about it, he said it didn’t happen; he lied. He shattered my reputation, and I’m here to try to get my life back.”
Trump requested a postponement of Carroll’s defamation and violence trial last month, citing the need for a “cooling off” period in light of the extensive media coverage surrounding his Manhattan indictment.
The trial was set to commence on April 25, but the defendant asked for a one-month delay. Kaplan, a senior federal judge in the Southern District of New York nominated by President Bill Clinton in 1994, denied the petition and stated, “There is no justification for adjournment. This case is entirely unrelated to the state prosecution.”
Mediate reported more of the drama leading up to the trial. “In the days before the trial started, Trump posted insults on social media that did not amuse Judge Lewis Kaplan, to say the least. Tacopina told the court he would ‘try to address’ the public postings about the case ‘with my client.’”
“Well, I hope you’re more successful,” Kaplan said in response, according to Raw Story, adding that Trump “may or may not be tampering with a new source of potential liability. … And I think you know what I mean.”
“Developments in at least one of these matters, as well as actions and statements by Mr. Trump in relation to any, may well give rise to intense publicity that, in some respects, Mr. Trump might claim to be prejudicial in this case,” Kaplan noted. “Mr. Trump’s suggestion that a one-month trial postponement, in this case, would ensure the absence of any such developments in the period immediately preceding jury selection is not realistic.”